Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sniffle...

Came down with a horrid cold this week. So, today, I am sniffling my way through my work day and I run into a colleague, who is sniffling his way through his work day. We both came to the conclusion that ALL cold-type viruses can currently be blamed on our LACK of sunshine. That's right. We're blaming it on the weather. I just read that California is in the midst of a drought. TAKE OUR RAIN, I say.

I'll stop whining now because I have a random question. If you order chinese food to go, do you tip the cashier? I am generally a very good tipper...so when I pick up my food from the counter and sign my credit slip, I feel guilty not leaving something on the "tip" line, even though I'm not dining in. Is there an etiquette rule here?

My four-year-old finally filled his marble jar with "good behavior" marbles. He has been talking for weeks about earning a periscope when his marble jar is full (he learned about periscopes from Curious George and PBS Kids...not all TV is bad). Last night we gave him his periscope (a green, plastic thing that cost $20) and he was so excited but he very solemnly told me that periscopes "are not for spying. Spying is wrong." Perhaps our current administration should watch more Curious George, no? I am quite sure their good behavior marble jar is not even close to full...but that's another story.

I finally worked through a sticky part of my plot outline for "Take One" and am very excited with the outcome. More details later...

Mileage goal for the day: Can I run with a fever?
Song of the day: "Stronger" by Kanye West
Take One word count: Hasn't changed from Tuesday. sigh.

5 comments:

Susan Adrian said...

Hi Ingrid:

I don't tip when I get food to go either. I also feel vaguely guilty, but I figure the tip is for the service...I'm already paying for the food. :)

And we love Curious George.

Ingrid said...

So I'm not the only one. Yey!

K. said...

Nope. Not the only one! If I'm just paying at the cash register and picking up my food, I don't tip. Being waited on and for delivery, I do for sure. I don't feel guilty at all. I don't tip the grocer, the convenient store clerk, the guys at McDonalds . . . I mean, if I'm just popping in the pizza joint or Chinese place to by a soda or pick up some soup, why should I tip? I think it's the receipts they use; leaving the tip line blank is what makes people feel guilty.

Hope you feel better! And I like that marble idea. I may have to try it with my kid . . .

Michelle Peterson said...

I agree with Kelly. It's the blank tip line that makes us feel guilty. If someone actually wrote a zero on that line, I'd give him or her a tip (I'd also be shocked)!

Sushi said...

I usually don't tip for takeaway, though I've been known to tip a dollar or two if the person getting the order together goes above and beyond. That happens sometimes at the El Chico near my house. They're pretty cool.

"Spying is wrong." That's so cute. :) It's also another reason I don't have kids. Between a steady diet of Bond movies and my take on discipline (which includes the phrase, "Well, if your sister hit you, go hit her back. Leave Mommy alone."), the periscope would probably result in some junior invasion-of-privacy charges. Fortunately, cats cannot be arrested for such things.